What do you do when a financial emergency knocks at your door? If you have enough money for the expenditure, any urgent financial situation sways away. However, loans feel like the only viable situation if you fall short of money. While conventional loans are sought by many individuals, ICICI Personal Loan Top-Ups also serve as a more flexible and convenient alternative. Wondering what is a Top-Up Loan and how it works? Grab your reading glasses, sit back, and delve into this guide to discover more!
What is a Top-Up Loan?
As its name suggests, the top-up loan allows you to borrow additional funds on top of your existing loan. If you have an existing loan, a Top-Up Loan offers a hassle-free and quick way to access additional funds while eliminating the need for extra paperwork. It also has lower interest rates as compared to Personal Loans. For instance, if a borrower needs funds for home renovation, education, or medical expenses, a top-up loan can be more cost-effective than applying for a fresh loan with higher interest rates.
Borrowers who Apply For ICICI Bank Top Up Personal Loans can use funds as per their requirements and the documentation is simple. In addition, timely repayment of a top-up loan can also positively impact the borrower’s credit score by demonstrating their financial discipline. To be eligible for a top-up loan, the applicant must meet the following criteria:
- The applicant must have an existing loan and be making timely payments to be eligible for a top-up loan. The repayment record must be nearly flawless as lenders may deny the request if payment bounces or delays occur.
- The applicant’s financial obligations, such as existing loans, credit card dues, and monthly expenses, are taken into account when calculating eligibility for the top-up loan. The income should be sufficient to cover these expenses along with the additional loan repayment amount.
- The CIBIL Score and credit history of the applicant should be good. To evaluate the credit history, lenders track the number of loans and credit cards.
- The applicant’s employer must be on the bank’s approved list of companies. If the applicant has switched jobs, the current employment status will be considered for the top-up loan application.
What are The Cost Factors Involved?
Before you get a Top-Up Loan on paper, here are some cost components associated with it:
- Rate of Interest: The rate of interest is the annual percentage charged by the lender on the borrowed amount. Sometimes top-up loans might have slightly higher interest rates than the original loans. However, the interest rates are often lower than fresh personal or home loans, which makes top-up loans an attractive option for borrowers.
- Tenure: The tenure of a top-up loan refers to the period within which the borrowed amount must be repaid. Although it can vary depending on the lender and the borrower’s preferences, the tenure for a top-up loan is usually aligned with the remaining tenure of the original loan for convenience and ease of repayment.
- Processing fees: Lenders often charge a processing fee for initiating and processing the Top-Up Loan Application. This fee is generally a percentage of the loan amount and may vary across different financial institutions.
- Foreclosure: Foreclosure charges are applicable if a borrower wishes to repay the top-up loan before the completion of the tenure. These charges are typically calculated as a percentage of the outstanding loan amount and can vary depending on the lender’s policies.
Top-Up Loan V/s Fresh Loan
- Lower Interest Rate
- Quick Processing time and minimal paperwork
- Only the existing loan repayment history and creditworthiness of the borrower are considered
- Higher Interest Rates
- Long disbursal time and higher processing fees with elaborate paperwork
- Availing of a fresh loan requires eligibility assessment and documentation of the borrower’s credit history, CIBIL score, etc.
Calculating The Total Cost Involved: A Step-by-Step Process
Calculating the total costs involved in a Personal Loan Top-Up can help borrowers understand the financial implications and make informed decisions. Here’s a summary of the key factors to consider:
- Loan Amount: Determine the additional amount you wish to borrow as a top-up to your existing Personal Loan.
- Interest Rate: Check the interest rate offered by the lender for the top-up amount. It may vary from the original loan rate.
- Loan Tenure: Decide on the repayment period for the top-up loan. Longer tenures may result in higher interest costs.
- Processing Fees: Inquire about any processing fees associated with the top-up loan. Lenders often charge a percentage of the loan amount.
- Prepayment Charges: If you plan to pay off the top-up loan before the tenure ends, check if there are any prepayment penalties or charges.
- EMI Calculation: Use an online loan calculator to estimate the Equated Monthly Installments (EMIs) for the top-up loan based on the loan amount, interest rate, and tenure.
- Total Interest Payments: Multiply the EMI by the loan tenure to find the total interest payable for the top-up loan.
- Additional Costs: Consider any other charges like insurance fees, late payment penalties, or taxes that may apply.
- Compare Offers: Compare multiple lenders’ offers to find the most favourable terms, taking into account the total cost of the top-up loan.
- Consultation: If you find top-up loans overwhelming, seek advice from professionals at Your Loan Advisors to ensure a comprehensive understanding of the costs and implications of the personal loan top-up.
When Will a Top Up Loan Cost Less, Which Factors Affect The Cost?
Several factors affect the cost of a top-up loan, but you can consider these two:
- Time of the Top-Up and Other Costs till Date: If the interest rates have decreased since your original loan, getting a top-up loan at the current rates may result in reduced costs. In addition, if you have already paid a significant portion of your existing loan, the remaining principal balance will be lower, resulting in reduced interest expenses for the top-up loan.
- Existing Loan Performance: If you have been diligently repaying your existing loan, maintaining a good credit history, and demonstrating
- financial discipline, lenders may offer you more favourable terms for the top-up loan.
While a Top-Up Loan can be a cost-effective and convenient way to access additional funds when you have an existing loan, different banks have different terms and conditions. Navigating through the financial ecosystem of Personal Top-Up Loans can be daunting. Whether you Apply For a Top-up Loan at ICICI or any other financial institution, ensure to work with professionals to make well-informed financial decisions.
Need more help with the ICICI Personal Loan Top-Up Procedure? Contact the professionals at Your Loan Advisors now!